View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Cadiyak
Junior

New Guy, New Yak, and maiden voyage

Hey guys, I figure I'll introduce myself since I seemed to get more than a few double takes on the water this Saturday.

My name's Eric, I come from the PB'r world, but now that I have two small kids, a house without boat storage and no time to prepare my boat, fuel it, launch it, drive it, fish it, drive it, retrieve it, wash it, drop it off in storage (you get the idea), I needed to find a way to make use of all the tackle I've acquired and hoarded over the years.

Last year I spotted a Hobie Bravo hull for sale on Craigslist for $75 bucks and thought that might make an interesting fishing skiff. It's a polyethylene catamaran made for sailing. I pondered putting a motor of some sort on it, but without a pink and any form of VIN#, I figured it would be too much of a PIA to deal with the DMV trying to get it CF #'s. Plus, a little exercise might do me good. I spent the last month rigging it up. When I got the hull, there was nothing on it, other than two hatches. I added handles, 8 rod holders, kayak seat, foam padding, oar locks, oars, bungee lashing cords, bait tank, pump, fish finder, gps, 12v power, 6v power, two access hatches with storage bags for tackle/vhf storage. Due to the width and best location for me to sit, I need to row rather than paddle.

As you can see, it is somewhat on the larger size, hence the moniker, "Cadiyak".

DSC00590.jpg

Here's a picture of the bait tank and electronics. I found out about this site when I was looking for ideas on how to make the bait tank, thanks guys.

Baittank_Electronics.jpg

So, last Saturday was the maiden voyage/shake down trip. Prior to that, I'd only been on it in the swimming pool to figure out where to position the seat and oar locks. As you can see, the conditions were treacherous

Launch.jpg

The launch went smooth, the conditions were epic, shorts and t-shirts and I was able to cruise at 3 knots. Not bad, basically 20 minutes to "the spot". The hull is extremely stable and dry. I was able to fish standing up when my legs needed a stretch. Naturally I was out there trying to get myself a nice YT. I was able to pick them up on the meter a good half dozen times, but unfortunately for me, luck was not on my side. I did manage to catch something,..... a Sandab. At least I didn't have to wear the white stripe.

FirstCatch.jpg

All in all, everything went well, just need to do a couple little tweaks. I talked to quite a few guys out there curious as to what I was on. I do have to say, the yak crowd is much more civilized than the PB'r crowd. Good to meet you guys.

Looking forward to more time on the water.

-Eric
"Cadiyak"

(aka- Albiebac, pre-yak times)
Cadiyak is offline   Reply With Quote