Thread: 40 pound Club
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #45
Iceman
Administrator

Here is a little ancient history. Back in April of 2002. I remember hearing "Dr Gary" had just got a nice WSB a couple days prior, so I was fishing the zone where the majority of Spring seabass were caught back in the day, between the reserve and the bump. Slow fishing so I wanted to double my odds and put out a second live mackerel on a flyline. I had a brand new bass set up with fresh drags and fresh 15 pound line. I thought wouldn't that be a hoot to best a big ol WSB on that, they don't fight that hard.

Got bit and I remember the only other kayaker in the zone got bit too and we got towed around and managed to avoid each other as well as avoiding the kelp. Felt like forever when finally got this beast up, gaffed and secured. Could not believe the size of this fish. took it to Fisherman's Landing for a certified weight and it was 40# on the nose. This was the first 40 pounder that I had ever heard taken by a kayak fisherman, my favorite catch to date. I think I held the title of "only 40 pounder for about a week or so.........then Todd "C Level got his. Now 50 pounders are the Real Jaw droppers. I have not hit the YT 40 mark for over 10 years.........maybe this Winter!

Last edited by Iceman; 12-14-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote