View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
rdahl

Jim, I strongly disagree with you. I have 3 jigmasters. I bought one in 1973 with my mom's blue chip stamps. Got another in about 1975 for $11.95, and a 501 in about 80. I fished them pretty hard back then, took a few years off, then got into kayak fishing 10 years ago. I have used them on average 25 days a year over the last 10. Annually I take them apart clean them and change the drag washers. Well, maybe twice a year. They are simple to take apart, especially compared to the newer high end reels that cost a couple of hundies or more. I don't have to worry about soaking them, or even losing one, especially compared to the pain I would feel if I lost or soaked a $300 reel. With new drag washers, I would put these reels up against any other reel that is a fraction of the age of mine. Now I have heard that newer 500's aren't as bullet proof, but I have no proof of that. All I know is that mine have been a great value. You have spent more on one reel than I have on reels in my 49 years. I can honestly say I do not believe I have ever lost one fish because of my reel. Don't let the marketers fool you. You don't need to have the high end reels to catch fish. Just look at the hundred pound bluefins and broadbills that were caught with leather thumb drags back in the day. If you spend a lot of money on a reel for kayak fishing, that's fine, but kayak fishing can be hazardess on reels.

Good Luck.

Rick
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote