View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksailor View Post
Yeah, the thing about a Hobie is that it has more moving parts, which means more things to go wrong. Obviously, I don't realize this, since I own 2. Maybe for spare parts?

-Definitely carry a spare rudder pin. I had one break while using a large sail rudder while camping. Luckily, I had another Revo to swipe one from.

-On the same trip, the split ring on my Mirage drive fin pin broke, the pin came out, and I had to use paddle power for the rest of the day.

-I always carry scupper plugs, since I loosen them during launch and sometimes they get lost.

-I've broke 3 pairs of Hobie paddles, always during launch. It's not fun to land with half a paddle. Shoot, I only have Bending Branches now.

-Phillips screwdriver to replace a broken rudder, or change to a sail rudder. Also, to tighten up the steering braid. Pliers help.

-Steering cord, just in case. This would be a major pain to change at a campsite, let alone a garage with proper tools.

-Those little quarter-turn quick-release hubs on the Wheeleez Hobie-Trax 22cm wheels. They break if you look at them funny. Cool concept though. The whole cart breaks down and fits in under the deck.

-Spare Wheeleez tire, since they pop if you turn a corner too fast..

-Toothbrush and terminal cleaner

-Hex key to tighten the steering knob. Of course, if your steering stem gets so loose that it falls into the hull, it's too late!
Yeah been there done that...