View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #20
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Buddy System is good, but it's only one safety precaution. It depends on circumstances. Two fools out together may not be an assurance of safety. "Blind leading the blind" ... yada, yada.

There are many other things to consider. Common sense and foresight is what keeps us relatively safe over being naive or foolish or reckless. Personal experience and general awareness of what we are doing counts for a lot. Think things through and be prepared.

I usually go alone. That doesn't mean I am alone. It's so much easier to move at our own pace and I enjoy the flexibility of not waiting or conforming to what others might want to do.

I think I'm safety conscious. I try to think through safety equipment, tools for repairs, first aid for accidents and backup options if we run into trouble. I always watch the weather, whether I'm fishing or not. If fog is possible I watch the temperature and dew point. As a pilot, we anticipate possible fog when the air temperature and dew point are within 4 degrees of each other. I don't know what standards are used by boaters, but 4 degrees works for me.

I always enjoy meeting new friends and other fisherpeople on the water. I'm happy to share whatever I have. It's rare that there is not someone else in the vicinity. I'm available to help anyone in distress, as I think most other kayakers and boaters are. It's a good community.

As a former adventure traveler, I always left home alone, but rarely was alone during my travels. There are already people everywhere we go. Always interesting people to meet and enjoy as part of our travel experience. Kayak fishing is similar, IMHO.

Have fun. Life is sweet.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-06-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote