View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #20
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I can't remember a day otw in the last couple of years that I have not either seen, video'd or metered them. Sometimes on the surface, and sometimes on the bottom. And they can be stratified at any depth of the water column. Sometimes they are spread thru the entire water column.
I'm seeing the same thing down here in Mexico for the past couple years. What I am noticing is that when they are stratified at some point mid column, you can look for subtle changes in the stratification of the bait that would indicate some predator fish in the mix. The line of crabs could suddenly get denser, or form bulge, or you will see some breaks in an otherwise steady line of bait. I also feel I have had more success not trying to match the hatch. In the case of Yellowtail, I don't believe these red crab are their favorite food and I have more success ripping something sardine or mackerel colored through them to trigger a strike.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote