Thread: Sabiki rod?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2023, 11:36 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

My Sabiki rod has 20lb test.

One day I ran into a school of Mahi. I hooked one on my surface bait, and while I was reeling up the Downrigger bullet bonito, something ate it.

The rule with Mahi is always to keep one hooked fish in the water to keep the school around the kayak.

With both my bait rods hooked up, I had no choice but to cut the sabiki off and tie a hook onto the sabiki rod. I free-lined a live goggleye and something huge boiled on it. Minutes later the biggest Mahi I have ever hooked jumped about 25ft in the air! It was on my Sabiki rod! and now I had 3 reels with lines screaming off them! I put the sabiki rod in a rod holder and landed the first hooked mahi.

I speculated that the fish that ate the bullet Bonito was most likely a shark, so I left that rod in the holder and then worked the huge mahi on the sabiki rod.

I had em to deep color and then ..... pop.. he broke off. Maybe if I had played him a little lighter, I might have had better luck. Big Mahi have some abrasive teeth and he had chaffed off the line.

It's always handy to have a sabiki rod that can double as a backup live bait rod. Ever since that incident, I keep a spider hitch(double line) on my sabiki rod, just in case something like that ever happens again.

LOL..... I am still waiting.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triplehookup.jpg (63.8 KB, 41 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote