View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
FISH11

Talking

I have been lucky to not have a problem locally at LJ with the large boats. I did have one that really pissed me off, when fishing at San Clemente Island on a 2.5 day mother ship trip on the Islander on June 2016. On our last morning there I was catching small yellow after small yellow and there was a cattle boat nearby that leaves and I hook on to a large one that kept pulling full drag on my Avet reel. As I am making ground on getting him up and the rod is full bendo another cattle boat passes by and around behind me. I did not realized he made a circle and was about 50' behind me and releases his anchor. The giantick clatter noise from the chain sliding through the guide made the large yellow just head straight down and I had no way to stop it. In 100' of water when it got to the bottom, it wrapped me up on something that I was not able to free it from no matter how many different angles I tried to pull the line from. In the end I had to used a rod holder as a handle to pull the 65lb braid until it broke off. I know the captain had to know I was on something large because everyone on board was looking at me as they passed by. Can't remember the name of that cattle boat unless I saw it again. I also know a lot of them don't like kayaks because we make them look stupid, when we catch and land large Yellows when all they seem to be able to do is put their paying customers on some small rock fish, Ha Ha...

Last edited by FISH11; 08-06-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote