Thread: Running 2 lines
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
JohnMckroidJr

Interesting to read the different perspectives. Normally, I would never throw out a drift chute while fighting a fish. Instead, chase the fish down. The less line out, the less chance for something to go wrong. In my area, a lot of line out might mean a boater cuts your line, or your fish finds a wreck or sharp bottom to cut your line on. By chasing the fish down, you keep the fish in more of a straight up and down position which means less chance of the fish breaking your line with a tail lash. Normally one equates a tail lash break with a shark, but it can happen with other fork-tailed pelagics as well. Focus on the fish, if the other line gets tangled, cut it if you have to.
Peddling can keep the other line clear of the way as you bring in the fish. Usually, I will take winds intermittently on the other line in the rod holder until it is clear before the hooked fish starts circling the kayak. In my area, if plenty of bait is available, 1 line is trolled on the surface while the other is run deep. I use a downrigger for my deep bait, but most will put a 6-8oz sinker on the deep line by rubber band about 60ft up from the live bait.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote