View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Nice work on the video!

I’ve found that if a YT is running towards a lobster pot before you can get on top of it that you can sometimes steer them away from it. If you turn your kayak hard left the fish will usually turn right.

I’ve managed to do this a few times so I think it works. Of course it could have just been dumb luck!
100%... rudder control can do a lot on those initial runs. It also depends on which side of the mouth you have them hooked as usually they will have to turn towards the hook. I think this is one of the big advantages of paddle kayaks over hobies. Having the rudder controlled with your feet adds a huge amount of control, and the rudder being on the very stern of the hull makes it so you can take a straight perpendicular vector to put more pressure on them before you get over the top of them. The hobie, well at least the PA, doesn't seem to want to track in a straight perpendicular line and wants to keep turning where you will keep turning away from it until you counter steer. Then you are constantly reaching down and counter steering which gets pretty annoying. Its hard to explain in words but you can see it plain as day in the videos.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote