View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I hooked one of those soup fins at LJ mid column using the same technique. He started peeling the clicker, then he did a 180 and ran straight to the kayak. I knew right then and there when line went slack it was no yellow. I could barely keep up while grinding on the handle. He made a few runs before finally chewing me off. Thanks for sharing you post. Picture came out well. By the way, seabass will not run like that shark. Unless he is 90 lb? They do have very stout broom tails, good for short powerful bursts to catch prey. Its actually kinda astonishing how hard the tail is. I was trying to saw or cut one off so I could fit fish in cooler. It didn't happen.
This shark did the exact same thing. HUGE run, then did a complete 180. Line went totally slack for a second and I had to reel like crazy just to keep up with it. Then it caught again and spun me like a top and started pulling me. Knew then it was definitely NOT a yellow... And thanks for the WSB info. I have yet to land a significant ghost yet, so I don't have an idea how they "feel" on the rod yet. I've had BSB before and they honestly took my bait the same way a Calico would. Laziest hookup ever, sat there and chewed it a bit, until it finally realized it was hooked... A good WSB is currently at the top of my kayaking bucket list!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote