View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Good questions and suggestions.

I'm always thinking about simplifying and organizing as well. It's good to have exactly what we need -- no more, no less.

---

This is how I manage that:

I store my kayak and a few plastic storage boxes of anything I might need (active possibilities, not dead storage) in the back of my van. I am ready for rapid deployment at a moments notice, any direction for any kind of fishing or other restless and impulsive escape.

In my van, I have tools for repairs, first aid, all kinds of tackle that is current and useful (no junk, nothing redundant), poles, sun screen, hat, towels, extra set of batteries for my fish finder, hand sanitizer, mustache wax, knives, 2 gallons of water for washing, cleaning fish or anything else. I have an extra jacket, rubber boots and dry clothes. Gear for shore fishing. Gear for the half day boats. The largest plastic storage box doubles as my fish transportation container to keep fish goo out of my carpets.

Also in my van is a general purpose ready bag with everything I need if I don't want to go home for three days, including a pillow and blanket.

When I roll my kayak out the back door of the van, I take ONLY what I'm going to use for that fishing session. The kayak is pre-packed with the minimal essentials only. I add to my kayak what I need when it's on it's wheels behind my van. Less clutter, less weight, less things to lose or clean and restock when I get home.

If I need to fix something or respool my line, etc., or anything else unexpected, I can go back to my mothership for restocking or repair. It's so much easier than going home or to a store, especially at night or mornings before the stores open.

I can respond immediately for any unexpected urge to go fishing. I can probably bug out in less than 5 minutes if necessary, then organize the rest of my plan as I'm driving to the destination. If I have 15 minutes to deploy, then I will probably make a fresh thermos of hot coffee for the drive, and for my return to the van after fishing. Styrofoam cups are already in the van.

---

PS - I just decided to add another plastic storage container with a table top propane grill, bottle of wine, lantern, cooking ingredients, plates, cups, paper towels, utensils, and tin foil for emergency picnics. Service for 4 people. Not much space, but it adds a whole new dimension to my hedonism and impulsiveness.

Thanks for prompting me to think about this.

Life is sweet

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-12-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote