View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Check your drag washers lately?

Rather than assuming you need to upgrade your gear, here's something anglers sometimes forget.
How old is your gear, when was the last time the drag washers were serviced? Is your drag smooth or jerky?
How old is your line (if using mono), or top-shot? What kind of knots are you using (if you're consistently breaking off at the connections)? Do you check your line/top-shot after catching/hooking a fish (did it take you into the kelp)? If there's one thing I learned from my time at a tackle shop (Art's Tackle in Gardena) or on the boats was to check or change my line often (and buy bulk spools). At least every 5-6 trips or once a month I would change my line (mono).
Lastly (and this is just my opinion) maybe you should upsize your gear a little? I generally fish 40# for over 15-20# and when fishing around pesky dogs, kelp, pinnacles and if I'm fishing for food. I will fish 25-30# if the avg. are under 15# and if for sport.
Something to contemplate before you start shelling out some coin to upgrade [unless you need an excuse to tell "the significant other" why you have to buy some new gear, in which case newer gear has better tech! ].
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote