Thread: The IPA maps
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmandel View Post
for you guys that don't fish malibu much, that red area on the top map (just west of the big point) is what we kept referring to as BKR (big kelp reef). it is our LJ. it is a jewel. other than yellowtail, we get everything from great bassin, to halibut, to wsb, to rockfish, and all sorts of fun stuff. (with a much shorter paddle and relatively calmer waters) and it's been completely stolen. I'm typing this at 1am as I still can't sleep. I'm sick to my stomach and just lay there tossing and turning. just sick, angered, disgusted......
Actually some years you can catch Yellows outside of BKR though it's been a few years since I have fished them.

They come through and blow up on bait as they make there way up the coast to the Channel Islands. Basically anything you can catch at the Channel Islands you can catch off BKR, as it has similar conditions and the fish consistently pass through there, and feed as they move through. It definitely is the best fishing we have up here in the LA area, our La Jolla and they just took it all.

Rocky is over rated as it get's hammered by the Redondo Half day boats, and private botaers from King Harbor. It's going to stay open but they are closing my two favorite local spots: BKR and Point Vicente and the other point next to it down by the old Marineland.

Honestly in my opinion that area they are now closing at PV is a better place to fish then Rocky and a favorite spot of mine for Big Halibut Yellowtail and Seabass.

Here's a yellow I got there a while back:

and a legal C-bass I got there that same day:

I've caught more Yellows there then anywhere local to LA, both breezing fish outside and tight to the kelp. Most people do not even know they are there.

They say it's a trade off but it's not an even trade.

They just closed my favorite local Yellowtail spot, my favorite local big Halibut spot, and the only two kelp areas where I personally have taken legal Seabass locally near LA since back in 2001.

It's been almost a decade since I got a Seabass off Rocky Point. Rocky may traditionally be good fishing but for the last few years BKR has easily been ten times the fishery for C-bass that Rocky has been.

That's just been kept a secret. Since does not receive any sport boat pressure, and it's too far from MDR and Oxnard to make it worth while for the fleets from those harbors, and the Kayakers usual keep it quite about the fishing there, the word rarely get's out when the fish are there.

My three biggest concerns all along when it came to closures were La Jolla, Rocky Point, and BKR. BKR was the area with the least overall pressure and the least sportboat pressure, and the best fishing local to LA.... What a coincidence that it is the one that will now be completely closed to us.

I know the closures at la Jolla s#ck but if you guys got reemed they ripped us a new one.

At least they left some prime fishing open down there off the point, they just took it all away from us at Dume.

I heard Meg Caldwell on NPR tonight talking about how there was a compromise between fisherman and environmentalists and though both sides would of preferred some changes the outcome reflects a consensus that meets the needs of both sides, and is a victory for all because all interests worked together.

What a load of sh!t. There was no compromise or consensus when it came to Dume and BKR they just took it all and did not listen to a thing we had to say about it, and now on top of that they want to pretend like we went along with it or our voice was heard.

That's the way it works in politics, give those with the power and money what they want and then pretend everyone (including the little guy that got burned) is happy for the cameras..

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote