View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud9 View Post
Thanks GregAndrew. Thats what I meant to say

So Aaron, if someone uses that "Edges of The Reserve" argument on you,
you have a softball pitch to hit out of the park.

(On the other hand, I also understand the sensitive nature of some of the
'activists' - even a picture of a great kayak catch is enough to
bring them to tears. Like my brother, who can't wait to get his
Nissan Leaf next year. )
Oh, I get the argument. In fact, I know the people on the journal article that you cited and have received money from the Southern California Academy of Sciences (the group that puts that journal out) to conduct my own unrelated research (I work on fossils). The main reason I said something following your post is that one of the talking points during a chat/debate with some of these people went something along the lines of, "...you know, you go on these internet forums and one guy reports a thresher and 30 guys are out the next day chasing these sharks. The only reason those fish are there in the first place is because of the reserve and the fishermen know it, they EVEN SAY SO IN THEIR BLOGS!"

I guess my point wasn't clear and its really no big deal. Not at all trying to say that you are in any way hurting the process. Just trying to point out that the things we say/type/blog "can and will be used in a court of law". I've interacted, and continue to interact with these people on a fairly consistent basis as it is the nature of the "scientific community" beast. The point they bring up again and again is that places like La Jolla are so productive for fishermen b/c of the reserve (it has nothing to do with the insane amount of upwelling that comes out of the canyon, right?) and that "the fishermen know it".

Its all complete shenanigans and we all hate it. My apologies for calling you out on the forum. That was a dick move. The comment just rang my memory a bit of some conversations I've had with this group in the past. Mostly, I'm pissed b/c it is my first weekend of holiday, I finally got my gear all back in order, and in comes "storm watch 2010"!! Now I'm stuck once again reading BWE and griping about MLPA's when I finally have an opportunity to be out on the water!!! I'll be happy to sit on the edge of the reserve with you someday pulling hoops, but hopefully those plans will be all for not after this all gets crushed in court!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote