Thread: Word of the day
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2023, 09:57 PM   #18
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Like hold your hover......not forward not backward.
Not right not left. Incoming, what was the outcome on that. Did it leave you alone.
Great photo 📸 looks big .
Thanks, the photo is a video still from a GoPro.

I had been fishing a small tuna on a 200lb leader with a 100lb braid mainline over a deep wreck when I hooked a big shark. Rather than break the shark off near the kayak, I Broke it off deep and wound up my leader for inspection. While inspecting the leader, the Hammerhead came charging at the kayak. At the last moment, she turned and splashed me with a heavy water spray. The water temp was around 80 degrees, so it actually felt good to get cooled off.

I had a bunch of strips of tuna cut up in the kayak for Mahi chum, so I am sure there was plenty of fresh fish sent oozing off the kayak. After the initial splash, the shark aggressively circled the kayak for several minutes before drifting back into the deep.

I wonder if the shark breaking off the rig and the charging shark are related incidents or independent. I have had hammerhead swim up and ram the kayak before, but that's the only time I have gotten soaked by a tail lash. Thankfully the yum yum yellow color and the scent of fresh kill onboard has never induced a shark to bite the kayak.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote