Thread: LJ 02-03-2021
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
captainbarky
Junior

LJ 02-03-2021

tldr; nada.

Today was my first beach launch and landing on the new-to-me solo skiff.

I hit the water at 08:30, with a good amount of fog. Air temp was low to mid 50s and water temp was 56. Wave intervals were a little tight and bigger than I'd like for a first launch, although I've done it with a PA14 a couple dozen times. Of note, the extra weight of the solo skiff makes it difficult to correct after a wave has turned you.

Once out of the preserve, I made a quick six pieces of bait - all good sized Spanish macs. I headed to 90' of water and drifted with surface and bottom baits. It didn't look like anyone was getting action, so I threw out an X-Rap and trolled to the hump, then south, and north again. In 120', outside of everyone, I almost ran over a spot of puddling YT. I had two sloppy throws with a chrome iron before they sunk out. Oops. Mint and blue/white are the hot colors.

Around 11:30, the SW/W swell was getting on the large side, so I powered in. Landing was easy, even with a hard kelp wrapped on the prop. It was nice to be able to start the day late, cover lots of ground, and end it early.
captainbarky is offline   Reply With Quote