View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #17
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I've tried different braids, and have settled on textured 65# green Power Pro on my heavier and mid-weight poles for La Jolla and SD Bay. It's easy to cast, cuts kelp and it has always laid flat for me on my reels for a long, long time. I have never had a birds nest with 65# Power Pro. Everyone has their preferences, but this is what works best for me. I put 65# Power Pro on my little Curado baitcaster to save space and have more line, and it casts beautifully -- better than my old lighter weight spinning reels loaded with less-than-fresh curled up mono of any light weight bay weight.

I have also explored fluorocarbon brands. It costs a few dollars more, but I prefer using Blackwater. It's tough, it ties easily, it lasts longer and it doesn't seem to curl up as much as the other popular brands. Squidco and Dana Point Landing both have a good selections of Blackwater. 40# P-line fluorocarbon failed me a couple of times when my knots cracked, so I scrapped that. Some people like it. Maybe my spool was from a bad batch.

FWIW, one more opinion. We all have our favorites.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-26-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote