View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
taggermike

I don't use spinners very often in LJ. But if youre more comfortable with them there are certainly many that would work well

Like the other posters said, 20 lb is too light for yt in LJ. LA Jolla can be a very rough neighborhood. Kelp, dogs, anchor lines, crowds, lobster trap lines in that season. As well as the fact that yt are incredably strong fish with a good ability to find structure. The longer you fight the fish the better the chances are that some will go wrong.

I'd recommend going with 65 lb braid, the original rough thin stuff to cut kelp rather than the newer "slick" stuff. Then a short leader, 5' or so, of 30 or 40 lb fluoro. 40 or higher can be very difficult to break off if/when you get hung up on the bottom.

Lastly I'd highly recommend using a lever drag for live bait fishing. LDs generally have stronger and smoother drags. But beyond that LDs let you easily set the tension on the spool when trolling a big frisky mackerel. I've found with a star drag the clicker will slip and click the whole time you're trolling. And since the reels only a few feet away from my ear it drives me crazy. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote