View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #37
herefishyfishy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
This brings up a very interesting question. As Aaron&Julie mentioned, it would be very useful for those planning on being in or on the water to know that a big shark had been spotted in the area. On the other hand, as we saw with the 7 gill biting the diver last week, this kind of report can quickly become overblown and create a panic.

Bob
I am both a freediver and kayak fisherman and would prefer to not let the media in on sightings. Since I know the details of the absolutely ridiculous 7-gill fiasco, things DO get blown WAAAYYY out of proportion. I've been in the water in LJ 6 times in the last week and seen several sharks over 7 feet (and literally 100's of WSB ). This morning I had 2 of the biggest 7-gills I have EVER seen swim right over the top of me while I was laying on the bottom between kelp stringers. Very very cool to see. They are thick because of the WSB.

GWS are ALWAYS right off the coast, so why make a big stink about it? Swimmers know they are always there, divers know they are always there, kayak fisherman know they are always there. I could see letting research types know for research sake, but please don't call KFMB. They can put any spin they want on it and so will the enviros.

These are just my opinions, not that they are worth anything .

Evan