View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

SoCal Offshore Kayak 2015: YELLOWFIN (the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat)

Got out on Saturday with a good friend who is just getting back into kayak fishing. Told him we were gonna make a long paddle, hopefully with a big payoff. Saw a huge white shark attacking a sea lion outside the NWC.

Got to my target zone... and saw good bait off the shelf. Had the school swim under the boat and I told him to hang on. My bait got bumped, but not picked up. 30 seconds later his 30# flyliner goes off and the fight is on. 20 minutes later he's got his first kayak tuna, a nice sized yellow fin.

Birds and marks continue in the target zone. We continue boxing the area slowly. My spanish gets picked up and its a big one. You really need to let the fish take line with the circle hooks to get the corner of the mouth. This fish nearly spooled me before i could even get it in gear. Once hooked, i fought it for 25 minutes, then it spit the hook at shallow color. Looked and felt like a bigger model. Many lessons learned in the last two weeks. Such a bummer, but I am amped that my buddy got a nice one and is now hooked on kayak fishing again!

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote