Thread: Ghostbuster!
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #38
Phishphood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
I inferred from your post that you were CDFW....as in "California Department of Fish and Wildlife". You couldn't identify a WSB?
Aren't you the guys who ticket us when we F!^# up on our rockfish identification? Were you so clueless as to your own profession that you did not realize that WSB are lazy bitches and often go tits up after a run or two, belly up is not uncommon.

Whizz
Yes, you inferred correctly. I got hired at CDFW two months ago as a SciAid (read:entry level) working on some lobster stuff and some sand bass/kelp bass projects. Please accept that I can ID those and at least several other species quite well. My experiene ID'ing WSB has been from photos posted of catches displayed proudly and already ID'd as such. While I felt comfortable from that point of view, I had never taken the time to look for definite characteristics/traits, like the raised line on the belly. Before this, I had just gone with a general gut feeling and it wasn't cutting it at the time especially as I was mostly viewing the fish upside down. I had only read a few blurbs about WSB coming up exhausted and didn't know how it compared to my only other first hand experience of a BSB coming up belly up. My preconceptions were that a WSB would come up with more energy left than that, and would look more 'slug-like' for lack of a better descriptor.

As far as rockfish go, I know a few, but not all. And my position doesn't require that I know them. Thankfully I am about as far away from the enforcement department as possible.

Quote:
To me, anyways, the most offensive part is where you state that you cut the "BSB" free and let it float next to you for 5 minutes before checking it out and trying to revive it. Really? WTF?
Way to lead from the front.
This I fully agree with. Again, my comparison with my previous fish led me to think that maybe they all regain vigor fairly quickly and independently. My first fish was tail flipping before I managed to unhook it and headed to the bottom again like a dropped brick.

I stopped actively watching the fish while sorting out what was going on with my rods/lines. My spinning bait setup was just spread out on my yak over my paddle with more line out than would be preferred. That got organized and stowed in my single rod holder. Did a quick weight removal and windup on my main setup to get rid of loose line and got my paddle situated.

During this time I was aware of where the fish was and generally what, if anything it was doing. In addition to learning more about ID'ing, I should have just quickly situated rods/hooks so that I could safely paddle/balance and tended to the fish. I fully acknowledge my f*ck up here and urge anyone reading to remember that we should do our best to care for the fish's well being second only to our safety (debatable), not necessarily our comfort.

I attempt to lead no one, especially not from the front. I really hope that anyone who sees what I have done can learn from this.
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote