View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
JrBasser

You definitely don't want it on your rudder mount. If anything gets caught in it, or if the pump gets stuck in kelp, your screwed.

Hanging it over the side works. It's how the majority of the guys do it and it works very well. It works, its accessible....

Through the scupper is hard to do because you need a primer. You will also either need to prime it everytime the pump is turned off/on, or have a check valve. It's not a bad system if you get it to work out- it can definitely be done. Just a lot more work than I would want to deal with on my way to the grounds. I'm not sure what kayak you have, but the dog food container might even eliminate this as an option if it covers your scuppers.

The cleanest and most efficient way is through the hull of your boat. If your uncomfortable doing the work yourself the guys at OEX are great and will do all of the internal drilling, plumbing and wiring so all you have to do is drop in your tank, push the hose onto the fitting and flip a switch. This way the pump creates no drag, can't get caught up on anything, and the pump is below the water line enough to stear clear of most surface clutter so you won't be sucking up debris. If your handy with a few tools and don't mind doing the work, it's pretty simple to do (i'm actually contemplating doing mine right now. You've motivated me. I'll have pictures up of the install in a few hours.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote