View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
madscientist

I don't care what species are in as long as it's a 10lb (or more) minimum. Put the "whopper" back in WCW. Sure, an 8lb cali is a "whopper" cali, but so is a 3lb mac or a 1lb sardine. I think WCW should remain a tournament focused on the premier inshore species, leave the trash, bass, and bait for others (WCLF-West Coast Little Fish).

I didn't sign up when I first moved out because I thought I wouldn't have that much time. Turned out I was wrong. I joined last year after catching my first YT of 26lb. I ended up third, 25pts behind Andy.

Hopefully everyone that enjoys the sport will consider signing up, even if they don't think they'll be competitive for the top places. In the end, the fun is in playing, not the winning, and the more people that play then the more likely that the organizers can attract sponsors and prizes for monthly bonuses and/or prizes further down the leaderboard.

Regardless of rules, the simple fact is that success is almost always proportional to time on the water. This is not unlike other sports, where time spent training/practicing is as essential as inherent talent. Perhaps an "amateur" division which is just for fun (ie, no money) is an okay idea if someone is willing to handle the legwork (looks sideways at Adi), but I think it would be a distraction and somewhat redundant. That's the problem with any two tiered format: either you ban the "elite" (who determines who is "elite"?) from the lower tier or the "elite" will just win both. Neither strikes me as wise.