View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 09:45 PM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey zone View Post
What happened to John is unforeseeable and an electric pump might have saved the day unless battery contacts were under water. A handheld pump or even a large sponge can be a lifesaver. Every kayaker should always open their hatches at regular intervals to see what is happening below. If you think your craft is invincible you are an accident waiting to happen.
Thankfully, my battery was in a water-tight container that did not leak, because of that, my fishfinder kept working and showed that the wind and drift were setting me back towards shore and not out to sea. An electronic bilge pump would have saved the day.

Definitely, worthwhile to check inside your kayak periodically to make sure everything remains dry. Especially right after a big surf launch, if the kayak feels sluggish, or anytime one experiences multiple waves over the kayak -- the front or back hatch may have leaks. I use a big sponge for small amounts of water, but a hand pump is best for larger volumes -- also handy for priming live wells.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote