View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Tony,
Thanks for sharing a great story! All we need now is a little seared ahi, pork chops and a campfire! We can all learn from this, so for the 'after-action-review' the RedSledTeam wants to know what you would do differently next time?
There is definitely something I would do differently, simply make it a rule to attach a secondary device to big fish... example...a rope, second game clip something to secure it in the event of gameclip or padeye failure. Big fish in my book are fish approching 30 pound class and above. Devices should be attached to separate points on your kayak in the event of failure of one.

The power of these fish should not be underestimated, even after it's clipped, bled for several hours...and you think it's dead for sure...in all likelyhood it's not.

Large halibut are definitely one of the more dangerous things to catch on a kayak and should be treated as such.

I had been forewarned of such possibilites, of gameclip malfunction/failure...I did not heed that advice, in this case. Just because of my own stubbornness or cockyness...or because it just never happened to me before...until I crossed paths with that one insane fish. Had I been prepared...or listened to the advice of fellow more experienced kayak brothers...I would have brought home my PB halibut...