View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #31
THE DARKHORSE

Rockfish---it's what's for dinner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
JOSH nice catch , but was wondering why do you were a dress shirt in many of your photos i see you in that type of shirt???

1 Is it a lucky shirt
2 Your at work so you dress up
3 your just a baller and thats how you ride

what ever it is it's working

You got me! All the above. You missed one major factor, though; and it's a big one. A disease that's probably effected every family known to man: Cancer. If you spend a couple hundred days a year on the water you learn to COVER UP! Long-sleeves, waders and religious sunscreen application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Those are some nice reds

P.S.
My GPS does not have 252, 187 or 867 5309.
And it never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I'm thinking there's a group of us who would pay you for a fresh weekly update...just remember who first mentioned this idea.
Oh, don't worry, I remember who thought of that idea quite well. It was, me, four years ago when I started my guide service. That exclusive group of people who pay for, 'hot off the press', weekly updates are called clients. Just look for the guys with giant fish strapped to the back of their kayaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Beautiful fish Josh. I have not seen any that size for a while. I guess maybe you found the honey hole. If memory serves, those are pretty tasty critters.

Well done.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. One of the biggest challenges with the internet is people can't exactly see you when you speak. So I hope what I'm about to say doesn't come across as condescending. That's certainly not my intention. I'm often puzzled, though, when guys say something like "I haven't seen any that size in a while". Or, here's a good one, this one really made me chuckle last year: "this is the year of toad-flatties". Which if you think about it is, well, hilarious! Again, this isn't directed at you specifically, but I'd think it's common knowledge that the larger models---whether we're talking about fifty pound Halibut, ten pound reds or giant Sheepshead for that matter---took quite some time to get that big in the first place, right? It's not like they fell out of the sky. In essence, these larger fish in particular have been here a very long time. Right under our nose.

If we're talking about rock fish specifically. I'd say the biggest reason you don't see beautiful pictures of what would be considered, for lack of a better word, trophies---is from lack of interest. It's not that I don't find them interesting. If done right, rock-fishing is sick! From a business perspective, my clients only care about trophy White Sea Bass, Yellowtail and Halibut. If they want to go mess around one day and catch a boat load of, quality, rock-fish (with a six-pack of beer, of course), that kind of stuff is on the house.

For example, here's a ten pound red I caught right before the rock-fish season came to a close. This was on one of the last days of December; when the Yellowtail slowed down to a grinding halt. I changed gears and would be lying if I said it wasn't a blast! It's a terrible photo, actually. It's the polar opposite of how one should hold a fish to highlight the size. But, you can clearly see my arms are not pointing towards the camera and aimed straight up. If you've caught nice reds before it should be fairly obvious---this one's huge!

It's the same thing with the trophy-goats. It's not like I don't have a ton of places chocked full of them on my G.P.S.

Personally, I think they're bad-azz. And fun as all hell to catch, too, but nobody cares!