Thread: Dog Beach
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
I fish point loma a lot and in in my opinion this is not a good idea. You can not always paddle over that gap, you then have your car in OB and then what? You have to climb over the wall or go through surf to get back and as already said outside sets if you have to come in on dog beach. There also can be pretty good currents from the outgoing and incoming tides right there. If you launch from mariners basin that would be about the exact same distance paddle and you would not have to hop over any wall or worry about surf.

You can also launch south of point loma pier when the surf is down but yes, you must be comfortable in the surf as there is a pretty good rocky reef there you don't want to get dumped on.

Kallogs street is a good option, you can pick up bait on the way out then fish the point while it is still open (this area is on the MLPA chopping board). I have found if you time it so you come back in an incoming tide that trip is much more enjoyable.
On trips like these I'll for sure have to plan them a little better than just hitting up La Jolla. I don't mind the long paddles, I know the Point Loma Kelp is fun and have fished it many times from a boat. So now I would like to try from a yak too.

I have been looking at that Kellog St. to launch for some time now. How's the parking restrictions in that area?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote