Thread: VHF Tips
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
FISH11

I recently purchased the Standard Horizon HX 890 from West Marine and it still has a $50 rebate available that ends on 9-30-2020. I had two West Marine 160 with no GPS and they worked great and were a lower price had 6 watts. After 3 years both started having an issue were the screen display would become dark and impossible to read. So the problem was if with friend and they wanted to change channel, I could most times not see the channel on the display. That made switching channels a chore. I searched and found my receipt and extended warranty, I had purchased, so I took both back but they only refunded me the money on the one I had the receipt for. Apparently when I bought the first one I didn't realize the clerk didn't ask me for my phone number and so it was not showing up on their records. Long story short make sure you have all your receipts handy instead of relying on their records. I do recommend the HX890 because I always go with 6 watts max. for the best range and make sure you buy their extended warranty. The only thing I don't like about it is the volume is not as high as my West Marine 160 which they no longer carry. My other 160 still works great and some of the time the display is still readable.