View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
tak100
Recruit

The Avet MXJ is a bit of overkill but as long as you can cast it effectively it will work. I like to use #40 pound mono. The jigs are moving and the heavier line doesn't seem to make a difference within reason of course. For the same reason the cost of Flouro doesn't seem to be justified and the mono stretch is a little more forgiving.

I personally like to use a short leader that would have your Alberto knot outside of the guides and the leader as long as you are comfortable casting. I have used leaders as short as 20" but I usually like 36" or longer. It is hard to stop and retie a leader when the bite is on. If you need to change lures just cut it off and retie with a shorter leader until you get uncomfortably close to the lure (about 20" for me). Definitely make sure you have extra leader line available if you go this route. If you fishing a long day you may have to put a new one on. The good news is a 100 yd spool will last forever using 5' at a time.

The other option is to use a long leader that will be longer than your normal cast. The Alberto knot (or any other joiner knot for that matter) sometimes get hung up in the guides when casting and everything comes to an abrupt halt. If you are lucky you just get a really nasty birds nest. If you are unlucky you break your line and lose the jig and get a really nasty birds nest.

I usually fish the jig the way it is rigged from the manufacturer, so if it comes with swivel I use it. If comes with a ring I tie directly to the ring.

There are lots of posts here about how to rig for live bait. Your plan looks close enough to work.

Hope that helps.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote