View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #16
2-Stix

It all depends where you are. At LJ I used the drive when its small once and the paddle when its bigger. In major surf and shore break in Malibu, Ventura and Santa Barbara I use the paddle only and time sets and haul ass. Big surf and close sets, deep water fast. There is no time to get deep enough, hop in, get straight and go. Its a 20-30 second time line from sand to past the breakers sprint. Nights I do the same. Everything is in dry bags below the hatches. Rods on leashes strapped to the side with reel covers. I landed one time at Leo with the drive down because the waves were 5' and the tide was high. I ran the risk of drive damage. My drive was loaded with sand. Never did that again.

There are some variables but 90% of the time I go drive out and strapped to the front hatch with lashes and use my paddle and sprint in and sprint out. The other 10% the waves are flat and I wade out to thigh deep water and use my drive. It also depends on the water and air temp and time of year. Do I want to get wet and freeze by being deep and use my drive or get shin deep and peddle. Lots of variables as I said. I have yet to roll. It will happen in time. Typical waves are 2-3', high 50's-low 60's water temp and gray light launches with strong beach rip tides. I run a Hobie Outback. They don't paddle straight, but the harder you paddle them the more they straighten out. I have had good luck.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 03-27-2016 at 02:24 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote