View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #38
taggermike

Great post. I agree that hobies have a loyal following and critism is rare. I've seen the complete evolution of the Hobie and the attitudes toward them. I saw a mirage drive before there was a boat to put it in. I recall thinking it was a weird piece of excersize equipment. Like a 'thigh master'. When Hobies started showing up at the LJ launch the paddling majority thought they were a flashy trend and i remember debates as to whether they were ever kayaks. Things have come full circle, and several times I have been the only paddler on beach full of peddlers. I have never been on a PA, but have fished from an out back and an adventure. They were great and the mirage drive is an amazing piece of equipment. Its been said many times here and else where that every kayak is a trade off; stability vs speed, primary vs secondary stability. And now paddle vs peddle. I've been fishing my 15 year old original OK prowler 15. Again a trade off. I sit in a puddle, my ass is level with my feet. But its fast a shit, cuts right thru wind waves kelp n chop, I can carry or drag it about any where. Pretty much any where I can get to the water is a launch. Try before you by, or if you got the scratch, get both. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote