View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelogger View Post
Thanks for the beta. I currently have two medium action spinning sticks set up for northern pike and walleyes, right now. For fish up to 15ibs.

I see that alot of guys use bait casting rods and reels for kayak fishing the ocean. These bait casters are not the typical large mouth bass bait casters I'm use to using on lakes. They're huge!

I'd like to get two saltwater bait casting sticks for yak fishing. I plan to go after the biggest fish I can catch from the kayak.

One for casting long distance yo yo irons and surface irons. And another one I'm still figuring out. Any suggestions would be great.

I plan to do all types of kayak fishing.

Budget is around $300 for two set ups
Yoyo irons are jigged vertically, you don't cast them out.

If you do a search you'll find A LOT of threads on this topic.

For $300 pick up two used Daiwa Sealine 30 or 40's. Probably the most valued kayak reel there is. You can get the pair for around $100-$140 depending on if you can find a deal.

Next you'll need the rods. You'll want a longer rod for surface irons. Something in the 8'-9' range. Something affordable might be the 8' Shimano Teremar. They range from $80-$110
A good affordable yoyo/bait rod can be found for around $80-$100. You'll want something like a 25-40 or 30-(40)-50

You have A TON of options when it comes to those, they're much easier to come by than the surface throwers.

Next, consider line. it will cost you around $20-$28 to spool a reel with 220 yds of 65# spectra, and for the surface iron set up, you can go with #40.
If you fill a chunk of the spool with mono backing you'll save some money on the spectra.

Now, irons. They run about $8-$12 each

Don't forget Flouro leader. A 25yd spool of good 30lb Seagaur or Hi-Seas will run you $10-$17

Hooks, oh yeah. a 6pack of 2/0 Ringed owners fly liners are $7. Some non ringed Mutu Circles are about $4. You'll need a bunch of those.

A gaff? Glad you asked. I'm assuming you don't have one since you fish for smaller fish. You're looking at around $20-$50 depending if you make your own or not.

A bait tank, almost forgot. You're fishing for local big game right? Gotcha. Need a way to keep your bait alive! A bait tank can run you $80-$300 depending on your level of craftsmanship. However bait tubes are a common cost effective way to keep bait alive. They run about $14 to make yourself.

That should get you started! Good luck, welcome to the money pit!

ps. You can tell I spend a lot of time in the tackle shops =/
They need to stop hiring cute girls to work the counters