Thread: Marine glue
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #23
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Steve, where are you getting those specifications from?
From the Technical Data Sheets on each manufacturers website.

I do take all the available info wth a grain of salt though. The ASTM tests they use to get the data do have standard protocol that must be followed, and the tests are usually done by independent testing labs.

However, as we have seen with the MLPA and the "science", it is easy to make statistics and data say whatever you want them to. "Lap Shear" and "180° Peel Tests" are adhesion tests that can be recreated in a labratory with consistency, but they dont really show how a product functions in the "real world". It is common for manufacturers to test only on data that will make them look superior to their competition, and not test on the data that will make your product look inferior. Both companies probably make some some disclaimers that the end-user must determine the suitability of the product for the intended application, because their are alot of factors that are variable in each circumstance.

The way i see it, if it works for you, use it. If not, use the other one. If that one doesn't work, use the next.

Now if only I had a yacht that I could test all this out on...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote