View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #17
lamb

LOL, great input from IGFA 4# line halibut recod holder...

Halibut fishing is a tough game, and sure can be boring... It's all pain in the arse till you hook one.

I don't think they're line shy - 25# / 30# leader is fine. I don't fish bays much.

Treble will help your chances in actually hooking one, for sure.

If you're really after them, bouncing is the way to go. I believe there is something about that thump of a cannon ball that gets their attention, rings the dinner bell. Not necessarily dodger and your artificial lure of choice like it's usually done on the power boats - it's just too hard on a kayak. I was never able to do it, just got frustrated with tangles. You've got to keep moving - maybe it can be done on a Hobie??

When fishing for halibut, I just rig 3-way swivel with 1-2' lighter line to the 1 to 2 lb ball, 3-4' leader to the cheater rig, and juicy sardine or a mac, and keep moving about 1mph. Keep an eye on the tip of the rod for that bite, work that area for another bite, it usually happens sooner or later.

Pounding sand/covering more ground ought to mathematically increase your chances of stumbling onto one. If you know they are in specific area (you're getting bit and IDing the right flat scars, someone caught one in the area that day or recently) - it is wise to work it hard till they decide to chew.

Great article Masta''s journalist days where he put down a lot of insight from some folks that happened to catch a few - lot's of BWE folks too

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...=kayak-halibut