View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Salty

LJ- Slow Fishing, but Awesome Day

No big ones this weekend, but it was a pretty epic day out there still. All the lobster buoys made trolling a flyline or Carolina rig tricky so I was mostly cranking a yo-yo and ended up with 4-5 good size calico, a sand bass and a decently sized treefish out of it(all released). Not what I was hoping for, but not complaining! Day started out with dolphins playing around my kayak at sunrise which is always awesome. Later there was a whale cruising by in super shallow water that my buddy and I tried to catch up to but couldn't. But the best part of the day was when I was messing around casting a heavy Tady on the Speedmaster at nothing in particular when I hooked up to what I thought initially was a small yellowtail. Turned out to be a monster sized Bonito! Didn't get a good picture of it because when I got it to the side of the kayak and was reaching for the net, it decided to do another run. As I was fighting it again, it did a HUGE run. Then I see the head of a sea lion pop up off my bow holding on to the bonito by it's tail("Mother F***er!). But the fish was still hooked and with the drag set right, this guy took me for a crazy ride! Was literally pulling me around like a horse and carriage. Eventually I was able to pull the hook and even though I lost the fish, it was just ridiculous and a lot of fun! I don't usually keep bonito anyway, so I wasn't too upset about it. If it was a YT, it would have been a different story though...
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote