View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
dmrides

Seems like a rad trip, the only trout you missed out on was a golden (and I guess a real rainbow). That part of the Sierras are near and dear to me, I spent most of my summers as a kid backpacking the high alpine lakes from Bishop to Yosemite. Shoot me a pm if you want some recommendations for some pristine (read no stockies) , deserted areas with some big ol' fish and some amazing views.

Next time you are up by Mono Lake you have to stop in at the Whoa Nelly Deli. It is a restaurant in the Mobil Station at the bottom of Tioga Pass (route 120) it is seasonal, but should be opening soon if it is not already. I know it seems weird to eat dinner at a gas station, but trust me, it is one of the best restaurants anywhere on the 395. They cook it up like a 5 star restaurant and you eat out on the lawn watching the insane colors in the sky as the sunsets behind the mountains with a wide open view of Mono Lake. On Thursdays they have a local band playing there too. It is quite the scene.

I am headed up for a backpacking trip in July, going out of Independence. Your pics reminded me of how much I love that place and how in some ways I wish it was July already. Hope some of that snow melts.

Until then, I got one thing on my mind...

Thanks for the post.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote