View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Really great post. I have personalky experienced the results of not doing it correctly on a couple ocaisions.

One July early morning a couple years ago, I was out with my son out of DP. I was lucky enough to hook and land a 45 lb WSB (the one in my avatar actually). My son helped me clip it and stow it behind my seat. An hour or so later I hooked a Halibut of around 18 lbs. Was able get him gaffed but in the mouth. I beat him a couple time about the head and sholders, and thought he as ok to bring on board. Took him on board and put him under my legs cuz my clip was already being used on the WSB. My son was now 1/4 mile from me working another area. I started paddling to him to let him know that with 45 lbs of WSB and 18lbs of halibut; I was heading in. I got to within 5o yards of him and the halibut went nutzo. Slapping at my legs and chewing at my groin. Finally made one flip and he was over the side along with my gaff. A minute later my gaff pops up to the surface. The bastard was playng possum for over 30 minutes.

Another time in the same area, I landed another halibut in the 18 to 20 lb range. Gaffed him in the right spot, but probably brought him on board a little early. Had him clipped but when I brought him onto my lap he went balistic. With one flick of his broom tail, he launched my Calstar Jig Stick, and Trini 20 out of my front rod holder, and some 20 feet from my yak. That was a $700 halibut.

The point here is that there seems to be way too many steps in landing a halibut on a yak, but taking shortcuts, or just not heeding these instructions can result in a lot of interesting things happening, and most of them are bad.
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote