View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
jlabs63

La Jolla Report: 7/20 - Looked Promising...

I had a buddy with me, so I decided to fish the RIB. Launched into 1-2 footers around 6:45, after getting stuck in the sand. Luckly, there was a bust oar that I used as a shovel. Anyhow, the water was looking pretty clean inside the reserve; my FF registered 76 degrees, with bait surfacing everywhere, including about a dozen flying fish, so it was looking promising.

We made tons of bait within 30 minutes on the edge of the canyon; however, most were either 6" or 16", but we managed about 5 good ones.

Started trolling a mac around 8. The water was dirty green, the current was going the wrong way and there was crap everywhere; it looked like lobster season. We trolled for a few hours for nada.

My buddy wanted to fish for calicos, so we posted just outside the reserve. I tried one of those Hookup Baits for the first time and it lived up to the hype. Within an hour I caught 4 calicos, a rat yellow and a short WSB. I haven't caught a calico in a while, so I kept the two bigger ones; they went 16" and 17.5".
Attached Images

jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote