View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
trollindirty
Junior

f'nsabiki,

Thanks for the tip. It helps, though I know from experience that a lot of times you can't tell just how big the surf is until you're face to face with it lol

jbara,

Launching is much easier for me. Don't mind getting wet on the way out. Coming in is the hard part. Even with gear tied down i hate having my gear go underwater or rods breaking. If it is shallow enough I'm totally fine jumping into the water if it increases my chances of not turtling. There were times in texas when a breaker would start turning my kayak and right before it would flip I'd jump out.

Since my schedule is constrained to those dates, and we have no idea about what conditions will be, do you have a suggestion as to where I could launch in more sheltered water and still have a decent water commute to some offshore kelp? Mission Bay comes to mind.

daperrin,

Yes this is a thing that some kayakers do religiously. The theory is you have a much easier time staying pointed into the surf if youre facing the surf. I never tried it. But it would be worth trying with an empty kayak when you have time. The fat body of the Hobie Outback loves to get turned parallel to the surf when coming back to shore, which is definitely not a position you want to be in.
trollindirty is offline   Reply With Quote