Thread: LA jolla skunk
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwang811 View Post
Tugged it around on the bottom for about an hour while I dropped a jig on any bigger marks
Not trying to brag, or criticize at all... but for perspective, I fished a c-rig greenback yesterday for 6 straight hours, I had one bite. That bite was a 25# yellowtail and that yellowtail is now in my cooler.

Persistence pays off, it's just hard to get that initial confidence to do the same thing all day with no success. Next time fish that c-rig ALL DAY. I mean all day. Like the first mack you catch gets sent down on it. Keep swapping them, checking them, clearing them. Drag it from 70' to 200'. mid column, bottom, whatever. Don't stop fishing it until you are paddling across the reserve line on your way in. If you repeat this every trip to LJ for the rest of the summer I guarantee that you will get one.

Its not for everyone. Many people find it much more relaxing to cast and get lots of bites on calicos, or maybe get some nice rockfish for the dinner table. You should fish whatever style you prefer. But if you really want to get that first one, and you aren't insanely lucky, you need to be ok with that skunk.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote