View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

I actually own a Stealth 14 and I can second the leak issues. Advisory I bought it BLEM aftermarket in 2016 (Newport Fun Tours or rather..) but it was fine at first, BLEM was marked due to logo misprint on side; seemed to be least of actual issues.. Rigged her through Andy @ Sunset OEX and about a year after purchase was out at LJ.. Prime bite my buddy just hooked up on a homegaurd with a flat fall & told me to drop... I made it up to him but felt wobbly so opened my hatch and noticed my hull full to about 2 inches of water.. I shit myself... Thank god I was prepped from day one and always carried my hand pump.. Pumped for about 5 minutes.. maintained my composure and made the 4 mile paddle back in..

I had to bail at least 4-5x on the way back in same amount of water/time.. I still have her but even after plastic welds, all kinds of flex seal, she STILL takes on water so she is retired for long offshore excursions.. Crack seems to be due to stress located in the seat area on one of the scuppers, but there are in fact issues with water clearance on the deck leading to flooding in the hull

Thankfully I was blessed enough to win an x-13 (2018) donated by Malibu Yak's to the MB classic a few years back.. Still my main mode of transportation, less stable (the stealths are yachts) BUT no water leak issues whatsoever.. Seems either this line was better engineered or it was in fact an older model issue.. get tossed up in north county and still pull the plugs after landing to surprisingly no water..

If going with Malibu Kayaks IMO go with the X Models and avoid the Stealths

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 11-15-2020 at 10:36 PM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote