Thread: Running 2 lines
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
Oolie
Headshots Only

When fishing big game, I almost always fish multiple lines, but that's to target multiple parts of the water column.

I wouldn't recommend multiple lines at the same depth unless running a planing board or something similar to spread your trolling rig out.

But if you are stationary or drifting, multiple lines is an excellent way to cover the column.

Make sure you're prepared to deal with the multibite though, as it's not uncommon to double-up when the school breezes through.

Don't let a rod stay out of your hands for long unless you're deadsticking. I usually get bit on the rod in my hand, or at least I'm present to respond when it happens. If you are too slow, it's usually a missed opportunity.

If the hook popped loose it means either the hook was not in their mouth (they had your bait grabbed far from the hook) or your hook was in their mouth, but at the wrong angle to stick them.

Fish will often run with a bait in their mouth, stop, spit it, and grab it head first once they are away from the school. Don't get antsy, give them a chance to get the hook in their mouth. Ever reel in a clicker burner just to see the scrapes half way down the bait?

If you're looking for a way to keep them out of the weeds, I don't have one yet, but you can use coarse braid to help cut the kelp, but it's usually only effective before the fish get buried. You have to use your momentum in combination with theirs in order to saw the algae apart.

As you can see, for double hookups, it can be a bit situational, but if you get one running for open water, and one running towards the kelp beds, I would let the one running for open water run on loosened drag, and prioritize the bed bound fish, pedaling in its direction to keep popping kelp stringers, once you get that to gaff then worry about the other one.

That is a best-case scenario.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote