View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #20
THE DARKHORSE

You can do what you want.....I love this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFISH View Post
Nice fish! Darkhorse question for you: Do you yo, yo with your 9ft. stick or do you bring a shorter stick out for that and use the 9ft. just for throwing the iron?
Thanks
Peace Out
EFISH

I've caught many Yellowtail yo-yo'ing with the Ulua, but these days I have a 5' 6" 30 lb--80 lb rated Kencore strung up with 40 lb mono specifically for the heavy jigs...they don't make this rod anymore, and are making more mass produced rods now since the company changed hands. The only problem with yo-yo'ing on your jig-stick is when the Yellowtail break the surface you have an inferior iron to throw at them, instead of a surface-iron that swims well. Not to mention seeing Yellowtail blow up on the surface 30' off your bow kinda sucks when your yo-yo iron is 150' down.

As a general rule I don't blind cast surface-irons, too many time I've had my target swim past me or break the surface and I didn't have my jig-stick ready, never again, always cocked and loaded . I'm considering adding a second jig-stick to my arsenal for that very reason, blind casting can be productive at times.