View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Casey

Dana point headlands calico wfo

First day fishing in 2016 for me. Its nice to be back. I took the 12pm 1/2 day out of Dana Pride yesterday. For 23$ on the 1/2 price Tuesday deal I figured it was cheaper then buying a 1/2 scoop of bait, and I could see whats around. As we pulled up to the bait barge I couldn't wait so I dropped an anchovy quickly and picked up a big yellowfin Croaker. This got the kids excited and the tourists wondered why I threw it back. Anyway we fished well within paddling range Right in front of the Ritz Carlton and Strands. The Calico Bite was wide open. Most were around 12" mixed with enough legals to limit on. I was a close runner up for the jackpot with a Decent Calico (but not worth a photo.) The guy who did win was absolutely killing it on a Bone colored Shimano Wax Wing lure. I kept two fish, and had delicious tacos that night. Couple of football size yellow tail came screaming by. No one hooked em and they didn't stick around long. Oh yeah and there was a 10 foot great white shark there too if you haven't heard the news. Saw the chopper was there acting all funny and just as we thought "I wonder if they see a shark?" We heard the calls coming in over the boats VHF. Might fish on the yak around the harbor or Doheny tomorrow.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote