View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #26
Aaron&Julie

Smile

Congratulations on your fabulous catch(es), beautiful fish, indeed.

Those are definitely in the same family (Croakers) as our Corvinas, White Sea Bass, and Totuava or Totoaba (same fish, called differently), along with many other family members.

When I was a kid in the mid 60s, I first learned to fish for trout on camping trips to Idaho at a place called Smith Creek, at age five, with a 6' willow pole, 6' feet of 8lb line, a small split-shot, single eagle claw #8 hook, and earth worms I dug myself. Right away I was outfishing my grandpa, with his Zebco, Panther Martins, flies, etc. But, I was fascinated when grandpa would tell me stories of going to San Felipe (Baja California) and talk about catching Totuava as big as your fish and bigger (over 100lbs). It impressed me, as those fish weighed more than I did.

Mexico has for years, banned the catch of Totuava because their numbers decreased so drastically from overfishing. Apparently they were much easier to find by fishermen than even our White Sea Bass.

I remember a few years back a 'yakker caught what he called a White Sea Bass near the San Felipe area, coming in near 85lbs. To me it looked like a Totuava making it an illegal catch. They do look very much alike, but the Totuava has more of a slight hump on his back right towards the front of his dorsel fin than WSB do. Anyways I don't recall his name, nor that it matters. Just a heads up for any Kayakers in that area, make sure you know the exact difference. You don't want to end up in a Mexican prison for catching something illegal that looked like a huge White. There's got to be some Totuavas still around, so it could happen.
Aaron