View Single Post
Old 11-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #10
JasonG

My 2 cents... you're going to end up adjusting your budget if you get back into this, Ha.

All good advice so far, a 9' 5wt is your standard "do-everything" trout fishing rod, but it will feel like overkill on small streams. Personally, I like a 3-4wt for Easter Sierra streams, and a 5wt on larger rivers, lakes, or if I need to throw heavier streamers for big trout. I just have more fun fishing trout on lighter gear.

The rod and fly line is definitely where you want to put your money for lighter setups, the reel just holds line when trout fishing. BUT... if you get into saltwater species on the fly with a heavier setup, you'll want to invest in a good reel with a sealed drag that can handle powerful runs.

I bought rods in this order as I got back into this obsession... 5wt, 4wt, 8wt, 7wt, 10wt. The 8wt from a kayak for Calico is a blast!

If I did it over again, I'd buy the following, in whatever order suits your fishing preferences:
4wt (all-around trout), 6wt (streamers, windy conditions, light saltwater-surf fishing), 8wt (steelhead/salmon, all-around saltwater - kelp beds), 10wt (Yellowtail/Dorado). You could also go 3, 5, 7, 9... endless choices, LOL.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote