View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 06:48 AM   #20
Jacurley45

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Spring for the fish bag, it's worth it. Can double as big cooler in Baja for beer.

My routine is freezer a bunch of water bottles night before, fill fish bag in the morning with just enough ice for the day on the water. If I get a nice fish stop at Sevvy on the way home, fill the killbag to the brim with ice and leave it for about 24 hours before I cut it. (makes much easier to cut) As far as the safe sushi goes, I have seen guys eat fish that was caught 30 seconds prior. Never heard of any problems from them. If you package your fish right, you can potentially have sushi grade fish for a couple months. The defrost process is pretty important. Don't leave it on the counter, don't run water over it. When you take it out of the freezer, cut it out of the vacuum bag, wrap it in paper towels and put it on a plate In the fridge until its soft enough to cut but not so soft that sashimi is hard to cut from it. (Mush) The time for that depends on your fridge temp. Should only take a couple trial runs before you know exactly how many hours until ready to cut for sashimi.

Great tips
Jacurley45 is offline   Reply With Quote