Thread: Bixby J-2
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 02:29 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmotrutta View Post
How shallow have you guys run these motors? What I'm looking to do is fish upstream in Rivers and Streams. I despise fishing downstream. The fish holding depth is 3'-8' of water. However, I will need to navigate riffles and runs in very shallow water (6 inches or even less) as I move upstream. My goal is to motor upstream, drop anchor and make 10 or 12 casts, then bump up 25-30 yards and repeat. Also there are unproductive stretches 400-600 yards long at times. Ultimately, I'd like to cover 5 or so river miles in a day, then just float back down to the truck.
With the Gas Engine, I can't go shallower than a foot, and feel uncomfortable in less than 2ft. With the engine up, one can scissor kick a mirage drive in 6 inches of water. Anything shallower than that one is better off to get out of the kayak and walk it up until the water gets deeper again.

The Bixby with it's standard power Shrouded propeller sounds perfect for what you describe. Electric is much quieter than gas, so there is that to consider as well. Let us know how it works out for you.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote