View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
chris138
donkey roper

Based on how you phrased your questions, I'm guessing you already know these tips. But I will just say them anyway.

Regarding waterproof of lowrance units: I have used several lowrance units and found all of them to be good in wet applications. That said, do you launch with your fishfinder installed on deck? There is basically no sonar unit which will survive repeated surf launches/landings. No matter what brand or model you use, always stash your head unit in a drybag below deck, then install after you are clear of the surf. I have an elite 4x (pre "hook" model) and it has lasted nearly 5 years and still going strong. It has only been used in the ocean for the most part.

If you already do this, apologies for the redundant information. I just see lots of guys launch with sonar installed and seen many units destroyed.

Regarding unit dying after and hour: the failure you describe sounds a lot like an issue I have encountered when my battery is bad. The battery will take a full charge, but when you put it under load it dies very quickly. First the screen starts flickering, then it completely shuts off. Usually u can restart it once or twice but it wont stay on. Based on your description it my be an issue with the hook2 line...

I hope you don't take offense to the simplicity of my suggestion, but did you try a fresh battery? Probably you have already tried that, and if so, sorry again for the redundant info.

In my experience I have found Lowrance products to be very reliable in the marine kayak application. I now have Elite 7ti2 and I highly recommend it to people with the budget for it. Touch screen works great, even when soaked with saltwater and yellowtail blood. Never had an issue with water ingress to the SD port. I had a Raymarine dragonfly which I found to be totally inadequate for La Jolla, the SD slot shit the bed after a couple months. Raymarine customer service was great but IMO its an inferior device.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote